Acquaviva delle Fonti (Barese: Iacquavìve) is a town and comune of the Metropolitan City of Bari, Apulia, southern Italy. The name “Acquaviva” comes from the large flow of groundwater flowing into the subsoil; Acqua-water/Viva-alive to enhance the abundance of underground water. The elevation is 300 metres (980 ft) above sea level, and the town is 26 kilometres (16 mi) from the Adriatic Sea and Bari, which is the biggest city of the region. The Ionian Sea is more than 45 kilometres (28 mi) away.
Acquaviva houses one of the biggest hospitals of all of southern Italy, the Ospedale Generale Regionale Francesco Miulli, or Hospital Miulli, which has almost all surgery departments and even a center for the treatment of rare diseases.
Bari (Barese: Bare [ˈbæːrə]; Latin: Barium; Ancient Greek: Βάριον, translit. Bárion) is the capital city of the Metropolitan City of Bari and of the Apulia region, on the Adriatic Sea, in southern Italy. It is the second most important economic centre of mainland Southern Italy after Naples, a port and university city, as well as the city of Saint Nicholas. The city itself has a population of 326,799, as of 2015, over 116 square kilometres (45 sq mi), while the urban area has 700,000 inhabitants. The metropolitan area has 1.3 million inhabitants.
Bari is made up of four different urban sections. To the north is the closely built old town on the peninsula between two modern harbours, with the Basilica of Saint Nicholas, the Cathedral of San Sabino (1035–1171) and the Hohenstaufen Castle built for Frederick II, which is now also a major nightlife district. To the south is the Murat quarter (erected by Joachim Murat), the modern heart of the city, which is laid out on a rectangular grid-plan with a promenade on the sea and the major shopping district (the via Sparano and via Argiro).
Modern residential zones surrounding the centre of Bari were built during the 1960s and 1970s replacing the old suburbs that had developed along roads splaying outwards from gates in the city walls. In addition, the outer suburbs developed rapidly during the 1990s. The city has a redeveloped airport named after Pope John Paul II, Karol Wojtyła Airport, with connections to several European cities.
Corato (Barese: Quaràte) is a town and comune in Italy. It is located in the Bari province of the Apulian region, in southeastern Italy. Founded by the Normans, it became subject to Alfonso V, king of Aragon, at the end of the 15th century, and later to the Carafa family. The chief feature of the old town centre, which is surrounded by modern buildings, is the Romanesque church. It is a twin city of Grenoble, France, where many Coratini immigrated during the 20th century.