1. Know your credit score. Apply for cards in your range. You can check your score at annualcreditreport.com.
2. Don’t pay fees. Don’t get a card that requires annual fees. They are for suckers. Visit bankrate.com to find a credit card that fits your needs.
3. Pay off you credit cards every month. Set up automatic payments, so you don’t accumulate interest. If you have credit card debt, pay it off immediately. Call your credit card company to negotiate a payment plan if you need it.
4. Take advantage of the perks. Credit cards come with a number of free benefits you might not be aware of.
5. Keep credit usage below 30%. If you are expecting a credit check soon, make sure your credit usage is below 30%.